This is the first book in this three-book series. It introduces key concepts and lays the groundwork for looking at how diversity plays out in the employment interview process. The interview process is the critical point that determines whether applicants are brought into an organization or screened out. This book presents a unique approach to integrate diversity into the employee selection process by helping interviewers and hiring managers “see through the eyes” of diverse applicants. All quotes and stories in this book are from real people and situations gathered from the author’s firsthand research and experience. It includes:
- Racial/ethnic, sexual orientation, disabilities, age, and size perspectives
- Skills and cultural competencies for interviewing
- Barriers that can cause qualified applicants to be overlooked
- Tips to create a more inclusive and welcoming employee selection process
- Quizzes at the end of each Part to reinforce learning
This book offers examples of what diverse applicants want and what interviewers might be doing to lose them. The author felt that diverse applicants were in the best position to answer interviewers’ questions like:
- What is my company doing wrong to cause us to lose good applicants?
- How can we make our interview process more fair for diverse applicants?
- What are diverse applicants looking for in a job and employer?
- How can we get applicants to open up and talk about their work experiences?
- What might our staff be doing that is offensive to diverse applicants?
“Great eye-openers!! Lila’s books are unique in that they provide literal examples of interview situations that impact applicants in ways supervisors may not have ever considered.”
– Jennifer S. Evans-Hall, PHR, Staffing Manager, HR Department